[CAUT] hammer butt replacement

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Wed Aug 30 12:23:35 MDT 2006

Hey, Daniel,

My condolences.  I¹ve done more of these than I care to think about.
Actually, doing it once is more than I care to think about.  Seriously,
though, it¹s tedious but not difficult.

The springs are held in by a cord, also available from Schaff ­ part nr.
3737, pg. 105.  One yard is plenty for one piano.  Cut the cord into three,
one-foot sections; its more manageable that way.  You¹ll see that the cord
has a core surrounded by a braided mantle.  Pull the mantle off one end
about an inch or so (or pull the core out the other end, depending on your
point of view), put some glue on the end of mantle, and press it together so
it come to a point, more or less.  This will be your ³needle² for putting
the cord through the hole.  While the glue is drying, use your center pin
removing pliers to push the old cord out some.  It won¹t come out all the
way, but you can get it out enough to grab it with pliers or forceps and
pull it out.  You might be able to do this without taking the butt off the
rail, or maybe not.  That¹s your call.  Now you just put the new spring in
position and thread the cord through.  On the first one, make sure you only
pull it through to the end of the mantle and cut off the excess core.  Don¹t
cut the core before you do the first spring.  Pulling the cord through the
hole will pull the mantle back down the cord into its original shape &
length.  Then just slice off the cord with a knife or razor and you¹re ready
for the next one.  Sometimes I run into pianos with slightly oversize holes
and the cord doesn¹t fit tight.  In that case, I completely remove the core
from one segment of cord, and use a cord and another mantle together to hold
the spring.  It has to fit fairly tight ­ friction is all that holds the
cord in place.  When you¹re finished, pour a glass of your favorite beer and
drink a toast to Kimball ­ for being out of the piano business. :-)

Regards,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT