[CAUT] touch & tone & tuning (was why does it feel better?)

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Aug 30 12:40:12 MDT 2006

Alan,

In my book, adding weight to hammers is a form of voicing. I think what
is happening is that you are more closely matching the weight of the
hammer to the resiliency of the hammer felt. Hammers that are hard
because of reshaping, wear or juicing have tighter springs that need
more weight to get them moving. I am putting really heavy hammers in all
our performance pianos and find that it takes far more juice than a
lighter hammer would need. Once the weight and resilience have been
matched you end up with a fat, powerful sound that can sound sweet as
well. A couple years ago I put some clips on a Steinway B in a
professor's studio because it was sounding too strident for him. It gave
him just the sound he liked and I was a genius in his book. We now have
a new professor in that studio and he wanted it brightened and lightened
up a bit so I took the clips off and viola! I was a genius again.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati