[CAUT] capstans

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 30 13:09:03 MDT 2006

Hi Dave

Quick and dirty would be a few drops of CA carefully soaked in around
the base of the capstan.  But my prefered way is to screw em out and
replace with a size bigger.  Course sometimes thats not an option as one
has already the largest threads available.  Swabing the inside of the
hole with fast drying epoxy and re-inserting the pin (best to use a
drill press or similiar pressing device me thinks) after dry and hard.

Cheers
RicB

Does anyone have a favorite (easy) way to fix loose capstans?  We have a
6-year-old grand where the capstans are so loose that you can't keep a
good hammer line.  Within a week of regulating it several hammers are
back down on the rebound felts.  None of the capstans are hard to turn
and many are way too loose.  Unfortunately this is from the
5-year-warranty company so I'm on my own with this one.

dave