[CAUT] Harvard Job Opening

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 13:18:43 MDT 2006

> Not only part time but only $20.00 per hour in a major metro area?

> David Love
> davidlovepianos at comcast.net
> www.davidlovepianos.com

Blees

> As a point of interest, I don't understand why a school would
> advertise nationally for a part time position like this. It's bad
> enough when full time position open up that don't pay enough, but does
> the university realize that someone can't afford to live on half a
> salery, and that creating a customer base to support that income would
> take several years?

> Those kinds of job opening should be advertised locally.

> Just venting, I guess.v

1. This is Boston (well, actually Cambridge - even better). Anyone with skills, personality and a half a brain - especially when plugged into a good network like Harvard - can generate a half-time practice in a very short time. There is an awful lot of work in the Boston area for skilled technicians. Been there, done that...

2. I believe Harvard puts oveflow work out on contract in crunch times - the half-time employee has first shot at that.

3. It's all probably moot - I bet the position will go to a recent North Bennet Street graduate, and they advertise nationally just to satisfy some fairness impulse. Or maybe some condition of government funding. Or just to give Wim something else to vent about...                :-)

Israel Stein