[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Thomas Seay t.seay at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:00:00 MDT 2006

Hello Brian,

At our University, moving pianos is factored into the budget as a
cost of doing business, if you will. We technicians will occasionally
have to move a vertical piano or two and we always choose to move our
fortepiano and harpsichords ourselves, due to their delicate nature,
but thankfully, moving grand pianos has never been required as a part
of our job descriptions.

Requiring piano technicians to move pianos as a part of their regular
duties is generally not a good idea, in my opinion. Speaking for
myself, I would probably miss more work due to my sore, wrenched back
than would ever be saved in moving costs. In addition, injuries
incurred while on the job are generally covered by Workman's Comp.,
which also raises costs, to say nothing of the lost productivity from
your technicians. You could reach a state of diminishing returns
pretty quickly.

Finally, once an Administrator figures out that technicians can and
will move pianos, albeit grudgingly, chances are great that
professional movers might never be used again.

This is quite a slippery slope, in my opinion.

Good luck,

Tom
--
Tom Seay