[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Jun 2 14:25:25 MDT 2006

We do occasionally move pianos, for various reasons, including saving
money and the inconvenience of scheduling movers, but AT OUR OWN
RISK.  I was promised when I came here that though it would be my
responsibility to supervise all piano moves, I was not supposed to
move a piano myself because insurance was not in place to cover any
injury or damage.

But when we move the big pianos, I dig my heels in and insist on
professionals who are experienced, insured and bonded.  That is what
you are paying for.

Like Cy said, if we are injured, that can potentially be career
ending.  I can at least vouch for the fact that when I have been down
with back spasms, it has usually been for a week or longer.  When
that is the case, nothing at the university is getting done (and it
has happened just prior to juries), and the extra money from
moonlighting my family needs to survive is not being made either.

My opinion is that the piano technician should not be expected to
perform piano moves.  We are not all ex college and pro football
players.  In fact, many of us are quite frail.  It just should not be
expected of us.  We were hired to do the delicate work.  You'll have
a lot harder time replacing a good piano tech than you will finding a
good brawny piano mover.  Yes, there are tricks.  But it only takes
one accident to put you flat of your back for a long time, and we
don't get paid for that.

I think it is simply not wise for the piano technician to be
performing piano moves.

Also check out earlier threads in the archives of this list from
February 23 and forward, entitled, "Moving Pianos on Campus".

Jeff Tanner
University of South Carolina

On Jun 2, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Brian Yankee wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am the Director of Performance Services at New England
> Conservatory in Boston. A member of our administration wants to
> have our Piano Technicians (whom I supervise) move our pianos
> (mostly a mix of Steinway B's, L's and M's) out of studios, into
> and out of the piano shop, etc. when the need arises. We have
> always hired an outside piano moving company to do all of our moves
> except for occasionally rolling an upright piano down a hallway
> from one room to another.
>
> What prompted this is a proposal to recarpet and paint seven
> faculty studios this summer. The proposal included an estimate of
> the cost to hire our movers to remove the pianos from the rooms,
> bring them to our piano shop for storage on their sides and then to
> return them to the studios once the work is done. Needless to say,
> the piano moving costs are considerable.
>
> Personally, I think it's inappropriate for piano techs to double as
> piano movers, but what do I know? I need a reality check: Is this
> something that piano techs at other colleges and universities do?
> If not, can you give me some good arguments why they shouldn't?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian Yankee
> Director of Performance Services
> New England Conservatory