[CAUT] Undercover - hooks and grommets

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Tue Jun 6 13:20:56 MDT 2006

Nice work Fred,

the convenience of servicing a system via your undercover install is
obvious.

Question: Since you listen to the (faint) trickling sound when filling
tanks, how hard should it be to make the filling process "noisier" i.e.: add
somthing that rattles around at the end of the tube... ?

or for that matter, why not a simple float that rises with the "tide" until
it blocks the end of the filler tube?

We really should be able to solve this thing.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:36 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] Undercover - hooks and grommets

Hi all,
	Here are some pictures, as promised earlier, of my method of
attaching an undercover, using hooks and grommets. It's the first
such installation I ever did, and is an "under the beams"
installation (before the new tanks which fit between beams), and with
48" (50w) rod (extends beyond the fabric - a neater job can be had
with 38w, less wrinkling of fabric). Took me less than an hour to
install, and really doesn't look too bad. I am better at it now, and
can make a neater job of it for a fancy living room. This is in a
faculty studio, and not at all in view. I was experimenting, and the
grommets were added after a trial with tape, staples, and a hole. I
find now that, with grommet squeezing pliers, I can just use the
grommet to hold the fabric (create the "hem" and attach to the hook),
and don't need the reinforcement of tape. The grommets in the picture
were applied using a hammer, with punch and shaped anvil. The results
were not very consistent, and it was much more time-consuming than
pliers. $15 for the pliers was well worth the expense.
	Besides ease of installation. what I like about this system is ease
of removal and replacement. Literally seconds to get it out of the
way to service the tank and pads, and seconds to replace it. The
observant among you might notice the tell-tale signs of over-filling
the tank. I listen to the fill noise more carefully now. I manage to
get two weeks between filling by maxing almost to the top of the tank.
	If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer, or perhaps take
some different pictures. This was a hard set up for photography, as
it is rather cramped (two B's next to each other), but it's the only
undercover I have ready access to. The others I have installed are in
private clients' homes.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico