[CAUT] Key End Lifter Felt

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 05:29:50 MDT 2006

A while ago there was some discussion on installation of this felt.
I think it was Wim who suggested clamping the keys together,
gluing on a strip and slicing them apart.

I was apprehensive about gluing on a strip for fear of glue globing on
the sides of the keys (many new S&S warranty encounters). Evidently
some sets weren't clamped tight enough together and allowed glue to
pool in between.

I tried it yesterday and am grateful for the ease of application,
got the job done in a fraction of the time it usually took to custom-cut
each piece individually.  I clamped up 6 to 8 at a time. Clamping also
allows evening off the surfaces with a sanding stick after cutting the
old felt off on a band saw (removing a little wood to accommodate
the new felt thickness). A spring clamp and two slats of wood,
top and bottom, to secure.

A perfect application without all the fuss.
--

Regards,

Jon Page