[CAUT] [Files] Banff Piano Shop

Kent Swafford kswafford at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 12 18:40:51 MDT 2006

I mentioned several past resident technicians at the Banff Centre
(Otto, Ted
& Denis), and the influence of each can be found in the current Piano
Technicians Workshop:

Otto with his amazing tool cribs (his original shop was a "broom
closet," so
he had to be efficient), Ted with his bass-string making, Denis with the
wood-shop set-up, and each of them with a prodigious output of "jigs."

Now in the short time Albert (Bert) Picknell has been at the helm,
he's made
a contribution of his own... "tidyness". I've never seen the shop
looking so
clean, and as for the mess in the wood shop, I likely created that in my
first day back. :>)

The shop also has a good stock of wood, and over the years many fine
soundboards have been made there from scratch.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

(Sessional Faculty Technician, Banff Centre for the Arts)

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/r9w2o
http://tinyurl.com/pn2sg
http://tinyurl.com/nuo3e