[CAUT] lacquor

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 16 00:17:04 MDT 2006

Hi, Debra & Chris,

Unless things have changed a great deal, the stuff sold from S&S is
automotive (often acrylic) lacquer.  It mixes well enough with other
lacquers which may have been applied, less well with keytop.  Depending on
the circumstance, I would suggest using lacquer thinner, rather than
acetone.  While the thinner will certainly take longer to evaporate, it
will do a better job of mixing in with whatever is already extant.

If you are starting out with a fresh set of hammers, and are not used to
using lacquer, I would suggest using white lacquer sanding sealer, again
with lacquer thinner.  Sanding sealer tends to break down more quickly,
and, _generally_ will not develop the dreaded crunch avoided by so many
folks.

The availablility of real nitrocellulous might also be a function of where
you live, as well.  It has been easier to find in some states than in
others.

If you want more, write me directly.

Best regards.

Horace