[CAUT] lacquer

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 16 17:05:48 MDT 2006

Hi, Don,

At 01:11 PM 6/16/2006, you wrote:
>List,

<snip>

>Last year I managed to find the water white nitro at the follow web site:
>
><http://www.uscellulose.com>http://www.uscellulose.com
>
>It was expensive, $48, for the gallon as it is considered hazardous
>material. The lacquer from U.S. Cellulose is 24% solids. Steinway
>was using a water white nitro with 12% solids. I was told at the
>factory that they are now using 24% solids. I'm sorry, I did not ask
>if they sell and ship their lacquer. If they do, I suppose it will
>be expensive as well due to the hazardous material designation.

Their site also lists some other important variations, including the
volume% of solids.  For example:  The LC600 Water White Topcoat shows
14% solids by volume; whereas the LC405 Water White Vinyl Sanding
Sealer shows 20%.  (As opposed to 24% solids by weight for the former
and the latter.)  The latter can be catalyzed (which provides
moisture resistance), which should probably happen before being
thinned down for voicing use.

Since US Cellulose is in Chico, CA, it's a relatively local source
for some of us.  If shipping is a problem, one might be able to work
something out with a local chemical/photographic supply
house.  Places like that deal with hazardous materials shipping regularly.

Best.

Horace

>Don
>
>Don McKechnie