[CAUT] keytop thinner

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 18 07:47:22 MDT 2006

Hi, Chris,

Quoting Chris Solliday <solliday at ptd.net>:

> Horace and all,
>  Are you saying that lacquer thinner can be used as a thinner for keytop
> material?

No.

>IF so maybe I have it backwards and blending would be better
> with a similar thinner in that direction.

There might be some other thinning agent which would be compatible with
both.

>I've never tried it and just
> assumed that what I was told, keytop goes with acetone, lacquer can go
> with either, was gospel. But then there goes that assumng thing again.

Yes.  My main concern in re: use of acetone is that it flashes off at so low
a temperature that it does not really give you good penetration.  Obviously,
this varies with the concentration of the solution.  I used to have some
hammers cut open to demonstrate this.  It's easy enough to do.  Add some
coloring agent to some sample solution and play with it on some
older/surplus hammers.

> Thanks for the light,

There's no real light in any of this...rather shades of grey...and that's
why it is so controversial.

Best.

Horace