[CAUT] was caf now seasonal sb failure

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:16:59 -0800 (PST)

Ed, Thanks for the response.
I did put on NY Steinway hammers and soaked them in
lacquer/thinner pretty close to that amount.  The core
is well-hardened and should have the resilience
necessary.  I apply the keytop/acetone just off of the
strikepoint right near the ends of where the very
slight string grooves are.  Just tiny drops, then I
wait about 15 minutes, pound it on the top to break up
any "crust" then listen to the result.

I agree this would not be the way to work up the
hammer from the start.  It seems like this aids in a
stronger attack, perhaps in a clearer attack, but I
don't think a fuller, rounder tone will result.
Sustain may seem to increase but only because the tone
clearer, more defined.  I think of power as a tone
having body to it.  Is this from a full expression of
the partials?  When we get a ping or a bite to the
tone from keytop then isn't that primarily exciting
the higher partials rather than the fundamental?

Bob Hull

Bob Hull