[CAUT] Reading low humidity (was seasonal SB failure)

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:52:38 -0500

Accurate reading have always been somewhat of a
concern to me but the question I keep coming back
to is "Does it really matter how much relative
humidity is in the air or should we be more
concerned about the moisture content in the
wood?" I'm somewhat familiar with using the
charts and determining the moisture content based
on how long the wood has been in the specific
environment, etc. but I wonder if soundboards,
specifically, are holding true to that equation
since their also coated wood. Seems like that
would have some effect. I don't know how to
factor that in other than to take a moisture
content reading from the wood directly. Perhaps
this has all been covered before and just hasn't
sunk in yet.    .......wouldn't be the first time.

best,
Greg