[CAUT] keytops

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 5 11:29:06 MST 2006

Subject: Re: [CAUT] keytops

David,

At the request of a local jazz artist whose Steinway 'D' had the keys
recovered with the 'generic' tops most of us use, I re-recovered them
recently with the German tops from Pianotek.  This artist was
convinced that there was a difference in the 'feel' of the generic
replacements and genuine (Kluge?)  Steinway tops.

Although I was unconvinced (plastic is plastic?)  the new german tops
really did feel different.  Seems to be a harder acrylic.  Whereas
the generic tops seem to scratch quickly (they're often scuffed right
out of the package), the german ones polished beautifully and were
much more resistant to abrasion.

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician

We found the Kluge tops harder than the generic "Schaff" tops.  That's the
main reason for switching to them.  Tops from Piano Forte Supply, J.Goering
are hard also, similar to Kluge (maybe they are Kluge).  They finish better
than Schaff's, with little if any scratching during the trimming process.

Paul C