[CAUT] IRe: Unison drift (was Reading low humidity/seasonal SB failure)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 7 07:04:27 MST 2006

> The only difference I can see between the three strings is the
> placement of the bridge pins (nearness to front edge) and the differences
> in the backlengths. As a totally uneducated guess, I'd choose the backlengths
> as the culprit, especially in the capo sections.
>
> Does anyone know about this, instead of just speculating?
>
> Susan Kline

Know, as in proving beyond a doubt to everyone on the planet -
no, no one does. From available evidence though: You have
overall string length, front bridge pin to tuning pin length,
and various friction points. With humidity changes, speaking
length pitch changes from bridge and pinblock movements
reflect front bridge pin to tuning pin length differences
first. Back scale and overall string length come in somewhat
later because the friction at the bridge pins is greater than
that at the capo (or whatever), and segment tension
equalization lags behind there. Meanwhile, before the system
stabilizes, the humidity is changing in the other direction,
and it's going back to or past where it just was, confusing
the neat and  tidy indicators you thought you had by listening
to the speaking length pitches. Bottom line is that until you
have a way of measuring every variable in the system, both
what they were then, and what they are currently, it can't be
explained simplistically.
Ron N