[CAUT] IRe: Unison drift (was Reading low humidity/seasonal SB failure)

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Mar 7 20:29:41 MST 2006

Fred,
         First I'd like to thank both you and Ron
Nossaman for your patience in explaining why you
fret as much over the humidity changes as you do.
It does seem that you can make rather astute
predictions in the resultant outcome of a
seemingly minute climactic change. Admirable!
         I have to wonder about why I don't see
anywhere near the left, center, right string
discrepancies that you do. While the pianos in
the university that I serve do go rather
drastically out of tune with the change of
seasons (abominable building) I still don't see
the unison problems that you do. Those kinds of
differences would make the pianos sound rather
hideous wouldn't they? I may get that much rise
and fall but it's mostly together over the three strings of the unison.
         I cannot dispute your observations about
the bridge pins but I also have to wonder if
tuning sequence plays some part in it or not. Do
you use any electronics? If so how do you use
them. If the piano is in a practice room would
you ever feel comfortable enough tuning from the
bottom up by machine and then checking the end
result aurally? Seems I remember that Al
Sanderson maintains that better stability is
achieved this way. Also, how are these strings
rendering across bearing points? If you tuned
with a temperment strip and then tuned in the
outside strings after setting bearings then you
could be setting up different tensions in the
wires even though they sounded fine when you were
done. This could be especially prevelant if the
strings weren't rendering all that well.
         I'll quit while I'm behind here and
patiently allow corrections from the list. Thanks fellas (and ladies too).

best,
Greg