[CAUT] Rebuilding Value

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Thu Mar 9 23:22:40 MST 2006

Kent,
Dang, this is so frought with peril. Commenting on an article quoting people
in pieces without the full context and statement (even if you have the
tech's side behind it)... but at the risk of defecating where I eat... first
of all Don, it's the middle school band director who puts a value on it in
the article. Presumably some technician I know very well has provided an
estimate and appraisal of future value but that isn't in the article.
Elizabeth Campbell is a good Steinway dealer, and her point is well taken,
it will not be a "Steinway" any longer, but I go one step further, unless it
is sent to the Steinway Restoration Center.
 The real issue here is does it change the value to have the work done by
someone who may do a better job with better parts (oh my God!) and produce a
better piano than "Steinway" rebuilt or "Steinway" new. Is that possible? Of
course it is. Maybe it improves the value. Is it possible in this case? I
don't know and none of us can say because we don't know the particulars and
the particulars are everything.
 One thing bothers me though and that is that even when I give a rebuilding
estimate I always advise the client that the best use of their money is to
carefully select a new instrument if they can afford it. That way Everything
is new and under factory warranty. Of course the selection process is
crucial.  In most cases the price to rebuild an O with all the uprgrades
including TouchDesign and other improvements is let's say for the sake of
argument alittle under 30 grand, more for an ornate cabinet (we don't know).
So do we then compare that to the Restoration Center price or a percentage
of value, I believe a remanufactured instrument is approx 85% of the value
of a new one according to STEINWAY! but can you get someone from Steinway to
go on record for this and argue with one of their own?? not likely. Current
"L" new trad ebo is $50,800.00. I have heard there are "Os" currently being
manufactured in NY, anybody know the price? or the Hamburg price?
 As President of PTG I would not take a stand. As an RPT member you have
every right to supply justification. But for this organization to take on
this company and their marketing practices and think anything other than
destruction in the community will occur is folly. I don't see anyway to
stand up and holler and improve things in this situation. Other than
pointing out that these processes can possibly involve talented individuals
who may produce excellent results for a reasonable price I don't see where
you have a leg to stand on. If you must, suggest that this Board get a quote
from "Steinway" on rebuilding at the factory or the Restoration Center in
Paramus, wherever the cloak is this week.
 I really think it is up to the tech to fight this battle and frankly I
haven't had any problem so far and I work for this dealer on occasion. They
make their pitch, we (techs) make our pitch and the marketplace decides. If
PTG wants to get a group of rebuilders together in committee and formulate a
position statement on this subject that might be a way to go but I doubt the
quorum will be present.
Chris Solliday, RPT
Lehigh University (not to be confused with Lehigh County Community College)
Lafayette College
East Stroudsburg University