[CAUT] Water Damage to Practice Room U1s

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Thu Mar 16 10:51:45 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/16/2006 10:20:23 AM Central Standard Time,
wbps at vermontel.net writes:

One  curious detail came up during the estimating of repairs on these
two  sprinkled-on U1s. I was quoted by Yamaha $511 per set of
replacement  bass strings. (I made a quick call to the local Yamaha
dealer who  said that sounded right.)

This 52-string set duplicated by Mapes would  be $223. Steinway's
replacement set for either 1098 or K52 is $167.  I know that with
Yahama strings the lengths are so well-calculated  that they can go
right on the tuning pin with no trimming to length,  and presumably
their accuracy for a scale of their own should be far  above anyone
else's copy of this set. BUT....what else am I getting  for the extra
$300-350?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter,  P.T.G.

About 20 years ago I bought a U1 that fell off a truck. It needed several
case parts. Not only did those parts cost nearly three times as much as
comparable parts from Baldwin and Steinway, it took 6 months to get them. The  main
reason, I was told, was that they did not have them in stock, and the parts
had to be special made at the factory in Japan. Maybe that is why the bass
strings are so much more. They are special order, from Japan. Did they tell you
how long it would take to get them?

Wim