[CAUT] Hammers

Keith Roberts kpiano at goldrush.com
Thu Mar 16 21:45:56 MST 2006

Just recently I had the opportunity and pleasure to hang a set of the S&S
hammers on a 1920's long A. I wasn't impressed with the way they filed. I
put the small end of the egg shape to it or the 1920's Steinway shape as
shown to me by my mentor. In his shop we clamped them all (Steinway and
Ronson Hammers) in a caul and used the belt sander. I had them in a caul and
hand filed them before tapering to the original weight. The felt seemed to
ball up instead of fluffing out. They got ironed once to pretty them up and
the sound was perfect. We did nothing else to the hammers. The technician
(an RPT) who takes care of the pianos for the woman who bought this one for
her house on Donner Lake, loved the sound too. Of course the "Long A" is a
wonderful piano to begin with.
I thought the felt had a different color to it than the lacquered hammer.
Brighter white. Maybe they came up with a special juice.

Keith Roberts

Subject: Re: [CAUT] Hammers