[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Mar 23 10:37:30 MST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Wolfley, Eric ((wolfleel)) wrote:

> I found out this morning that the piece they are doing is “On The
> Transmigration of Souls” whichAdams wrote for the NY Philharmonic
> after the 9/11 attacks. Premiered Sept., 2002.

Does anybody have any insight into just exactly WHY John Adams
thought the pitch needed to be 1/4 step sharp?
Me thinks that would put unnecessary risk to the stringed instruments
as well.  And wouldn't you just about have to have wind instruments
custom made to tune that sharp?

I just pulled the piano up 50 cents with no protests or breakage. I
wore eye protection.

I'd have probably worn some kind of helmet too, and hoped somebody
saw me and realized how silly it was to put a piano tuner in that
kind of danger just because a composer thought it might be cute to
tune everything up a 1/4 step.

I’ve never tuned a piano this sharp before, but so far - so good.

Anybody calculated what the new tension would be on that piano?

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina