[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 23 14:40:39 MST 2006

> Interesting.  I would have thought much higher.  Would certainly  think
> that pushing the elasticity of the wire to that extent, if it  survives,
> would do permanent damage to tone/sustain, and completely  ruin a set of
> bass strings.  But, alas, I'm a piano tech, not a  physicist (or a
> composer).

It depends on what the break% was at 440. A half semitone will
increase the break% by about 4% in the small wrapped strings
that are the most at risk. If the original scale was kept
below 55%, it will likely be fine. If not, there's probably a
chance of damage. I'd sure like to see those who consider
pianos to be like radios or dimmable lights, that  can be
turned up or down to any extent on a random whim, held
accountable for any resulting damage. Reality can be very
inconvenient, so it remains negotiable. Even if the strings
aren't damaged, that change on the plate load is still well
over a ton above design load. Baldwin (accu-just) plates are
pretty heavy, but the strings are typically a long way up the
hitch pins. Maybe I'm getting cowardly in my old age, but I'm
not so sure I'd care to do it.

Hey, a restringing with smaller gage plain wire and a rescaled
bass could get the piano 50 cents high at about the original
tension at 440, and dodge the high break% in the small wrapped
strings. Then they'd have a piano permanently and safely
prepped for that piece, when it came around on the wheel
again, or the performer could pay to have it strung back like
it was after the concert. I like that option. Only the truly
serious would go for it, and how many truly serious prepared
piano composers and performers are there out there?

Yea, I know - reality.

Ron N