[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

central jorge1ml at mail.cmich.edu
Fri Mar 24 09:56:26 MST 2006

Eric,
    I wonder what campus risk management / health and safety officers would
say about adding 2200 1bs over normal working load on a 40 year old piece of
equipment.  Even if a dangerous catastrophic event is highly unlikely, it
might not be something any of us should ever do.
    When I was a kid in the 60s, Dad caused a lot of sparks by refusing to
tune drastically sharp for a famous Russian orchestra.  Steinway backed him
up and the university considered it a safety issue and they didn't want
their piano ruined either.  The conductor did back down.  I wonder how many
soundboards, bridges, and strings they managed hurt on that tour.
-Mike Jorgensen