[CAUT] Flight of Broken Bass String

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sat Mar 25 21:02:42 MST 2006

Guy Nichols told me about that when I was living near him.  He told
that is was great entertainment to take a chisel and de-string old
pianos and see how for they would shoot.  He did warn that certain
precautions were necessary (safety glasses, welders gloves).  His
reported feats drove home how seriously dangerous a bass string can
be.  If someone wanted a piano tuned fifty cents sharp I would plan
on binding a few truck straps across the rim.  I tune with the lid
open because of how I like to orient the hammer.

Andrew Anderson