[CAUT] Re. Flight of Broken Bass String

Jim Harvey harvey at greenwood.net
Sun Mar 26 16:51:30 MST 2006

Allow me to clarify my initial caveat. It's true that bass strings can
let go while tuning.

What I meant, and should have said, was that my warning was not about
-while- tuning. It has happened during performances, thus the part about
stage crews, "delicates" in the wings, and so forth. Even with surround
curtains drawn, there is invariably a gap in the curtains out of sight
of (most of) the audience. Often the grand is positioned close to the
front of the stage, therefore a good line-of-sight to the offstage area.

Couple this with the original thread about deliberately raising pitch
(even if nothing breaks while tuning), add a generous portion of
sweating, hard-working artist, and the likelihood becomes more of a reality.

Jim Harvey