[CAUT] Re. Flight of Broken Bass String

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Mar 26 18:16:25 MST 2006

Jim, this reminds me of something I've wondered about.

Certain players have just a HUGE sound, and routinely they do
what I consider overplaying -- but they don't usually throw
any of the unisons out.

Others with a tight, nervous, poking kind of style manage to
give me a lot more work. The sound is usually a lot smaller and tighter,
but their blows seem to throw a tuning out a lot more easily.

In attending master classes, hanging around with pianists
and teachers, and reading about piano technique now and then,
I have never heard a teacher discussing the technical problems
inherent in a destructive playing style (to tuning, voicing,
and hammer, wire, and action longevity).

Over time I've tuned for a lot of concerts, and I feel that if
somebody throws out my tuning (more than a dab here or there)
they probably are demolishing some of the other tunings
they encounter. In fact, they probably are routinely playing
concerts on pianos which get progressively more out of tune
as the program proceeds -- and sometimes the tuner isn't there
to touch up at break, either. (At least, all too many pianists
seem surprised and happy when I attend the concert, as if it's
unusual.) So why doesn't this concern them enough to think about
what they might be doing to cause it, when many pianists don't?

Here you have a piano professor who routinely busts wire
right and left. He knows he does it. Why doesn't he think about
what part of his playing is doing it, when other pianists with
MASSIVE sounds aren't breaking anything?

sign me "curious"

ssssssssnn