[CAUT] Repetition Alignment

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 11:31:13 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/28/2006 10:08:12 AM Central Standard Time,
piano57 at insightbb.com writes:

A little off the subject, but related--I was wondering about how much
repetitions move or stay put.  The question came up for me because I did  a <huge>
regulation job on an 9 year old Steinway B (obviously over-due)  and though the
hammers were nice and neatly spaced to the hammer rest felts,  the
repetitions were all over the place.  They were so bad, my thoughts  were that they had
never been spaced and traveled correctly to begin  with.  When I spaced and
traveled them, there wasn't much traveling paper  to be seen.  On the other
hand, this was a university professor's home  piano and it was hard to imagine
that the dealer delivered the piano in less  than pristine condition.

Comments?

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL

Barb

Unfortunately, I think the latter might very well be the case. Up until
about 5 years ago, Steinway pianos were delivered to stores with the intention
that the store would have a technician prep the piano before it was put on the
floor. In many cases, the store just didn't do that, not because the owner
didn't think it was necessary, (most probably didn't know the difference
anyway), but because it was an expense they didn't want to pay.

Wim