[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Gary Mushlin garym at PIANOSERVICE.BIZ
Wed Mar 29 09:07:07 MST 2006

I used to heat the glue joint to align hammers, until I found out
that Titebond begins to break down at about 120 degrees, and loses
half its strength at about 150 degrees. I got this info from a
technician named Tom Patten in his class concerning fire damage to
pianos. My understanding is he got this information from Franklin,
the makers of Titebond. I assume this applies to other glues as well.

Maybe this isn't enough loss of strength to affect the hammer glue
joint significantly, but I'd rather not take the chance. I now twist
the shank, as was described in a previous response to this question.
If the hammer is too far off to twist the shank, I remove the hammer
and reglue with fresh glue.

Sincerely,

Gary Mushlin, RPT