[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Mar 30 09:14:32 MST 2006

Wim,

I would submit to you that the glue never lets go or moves - I think
that when you heat the glue joint and twist the hammer, you are actually
twisting the shank wood.  Unless you have just glued the shanks on in
the past few hours, there is not enough moisture in the glue or shank to
soften the glue up enough.

The tip of the shank is usually the thinnest point, so the hammer is
easiest to twist at this location, which I think is why it feels like
the hammer is spinning on the shank.  When heating the full shank
length, though, the twisting is spread out over a longer area.  I don't
have any kind of definitive test results that say heating the full shank
is more stable, but that has been my impression.

If you have a suitable test hammer I'd be interested in hearing if you
can continue to rotate the hammer - If I am wrong about this I'd like to
know, as I have tried loosening hammer glue joints with heat alone and
have never succeeded.  If the glue has actually loosened enough to allow
the hammer to spin, then there would be nothing stopping it from
spinning on around.  Give it a try.  Also, try a thumb nail into the
glue collar after you heat it - does it feel soft?  Wood glues might.

My understanding is that heating the wood temporarily softens the resins
in the wood, allowing it to twist.  Once it cools back down the resins
harden again, and the fibers are locked into place.  Humidity swings can
affect the results, of course, but then humidity swings can affect the
shanks in any case, whether they have been twisted or not.  If the
fibers have been seriously twisted (more than 5 degrees??) it seems
logical that they would be exerting more restoring force, and the wood
resins might allow creep during high temperature / high humidity
conditions.  Over-heating the shanks to the point where they begin to
turn black is a bad thing - the resins are cooked, and will not be as
resilient, changing the shank flexibility and strength.

Don Mannino RPT