[CAUT] Hammer wear

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Mar 30 09:33:34 MST 2006

Are there any generic (cold-pressed/soft-pressed/perma-pressed?) hammers
available (require lacquer to develop tone) for use on other brands of
pianos?

Steinways are made for Steinways, and don't seem to offer the range of
weights and molding lengths for custom work with other brands.

How are the Ronson Bacons? (harder or softer than the Wurzens?)

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS I've found that Steinways outlast compression type hammers as well,
though I think "playing-in" Steinways is a myth.

They simply require lacquer to develop tone, then you can get a very wide
range, including mellow and warm, without the "dull."

To quote a client left to "play in" new Steinways for some nine years,
"there are no @$^%@^$ grooves in the @#$^@%$ hammers, the grooves are all in
my #@Q$%@^# wrists!"