[CAUT] Intermission Touch-ups

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue May 9 10:21:57 MDT 2006

Hi Jim,

Yeah our oboist sometimes complains about the piano being sharp. (Then again
some orchestra members complain about the oboist being inconsistent with his
pitch!) But it is an issue for all concert technicians - being aware of the
temperature on stage, off stage, how far is the piano going to change once
the lights go on and the hall fills up, and all those issues. I often leave
our not-yet-under-the-lights S&S D 2-3c sharp at F2 tapering to 1c sharp at
about C4. I will let the piano tell me where and how much to float. The
stage manager is really great to work with and mostly when I get there on
concert night the piano has been under the lights for an hour or so. If that
is the case, then I'll leave it right on A-440. But sometimes it won't be
used until the 2nd half, so it'll be off stage. That calls for the educated
guess as to how much the piano will change.

Fun stuff.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University