[CAUT] Storing spare bass strings

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Thu May 11 15:01:11 MDT 2006

I'm in contract discussions with a school here and one of the side
discussions is having a spare-parts inventory.

Seeing as this piano is the best maintained here and is depended on
by the arts community, we are interested in keeping spare parts in
anticipation of a possible broken part shortly before an event.  We
had one string break retrievably so, but can't expect that always.

Particularly we want to have a spare for each of the wound strings on
an S&S D (particularly mono and bi chords).  It is my understanding
that wound strings are wound under tension and that if they aren't
shortly returned to and kept under some tension will degrade to some
extent.  We are considering a dry cabinet (DC rod in it) to hang the
strings in by their hitch pin loops with some sort of weight and
clamp assembly to hang on each of them.

I'm guessing that some other CAUT-heads have already invented this
wheel.  We would sure like to crib off of any working system you
have.  As to that, any observations regarding how much weight is
adequate and the overall real-world need for this would be appreciated.

Also, any observations about what spare parts you would not be
without if you had a choice would be appreciated.

Andrew Anderson
serving LCC & TAMIU