[CAUT] Storing spare bass strings

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri May 12 05:16:14 MDT 2006

<< Particularly we want to have a spare for each of the wound strings on
an S&S D (particularly mono and bi chords).  It is my understanding
that wound strings are wound under tension and that if they aren't
shortly returned to and kept under some tension will degrade to some
extent >>

Greetings,
     My logic and experience are both different.  I have kept a set of these
strings, unused,  in a sealed PVC tube for the last 18 years at the school.
Last year I needed  one and upon installation, it looked and sounded like a
brand new string.  Carbon steel doesn't deteriorate unless it is stressed beyond
its elastic limit, or subjected to corrosive influences.  The copper , I
think, does all of its resolution of stress instantly, since it is so malleable.
When the string maker takes it off the winding machine, it suffers all the
deformation it is going to.
    My suggestion is to simply put the strings in a straight,  airtight,
container and don't worry about it.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT