[CAUT] Storing spare bass strings

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri May 12 09:42:05 MDT 2006

Hi, Andrew,

I agree with Ed's suggestion.  I have done essentially the same
thing, using a length of 4" sewer piping slung from overhead pipes,
in an auditorium basement for over 20 years.  I keep sets for D, B,
and L in it, replacing individual strings in the set as they are
used.  The average life of the strings is probably on the order of 5
- 7 years (I've never really thought about it).  So far, the average
number of duds has been no higher than using new-from-the-maker strings.

Best.

Horace