[CAUT] Storing spare bass strings

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri May 12 13:28:02 MDT 2006

Hi, Andrew,

At 10:27 AM 5/12/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks Ed & Horace for the comments.  This sure beats building a
>climate controlled hanging weight cabinet.

Yup.

>Are there any particular parts that you believe should be kept on
>hand?  We are figuring on a few action pieces: 2 whippens 2 hammer
>shanks & flanges, & 2 checks etc.

Having been burned on this several times - frankly mostly through my
own arrogance - I'd suggest that you have at least two whippens from
each of bass, tenor and treble (depending on how many different
diameter wires are used in the springs); and, as you note, at least
two shanks of each profile (however you and/or the manufacturer have
that set up).  While I have not personally had check problems that
would require replacement, I know some who have.  My preference is to
have a box/bag of pieces of various kinds of leather, felt, bushing
cloth, etc right to hand.  Other items might depend on the age and
condition of the instrument.  If you have room for bass strings, you
probably have room for some thing like this as well.

Also, while I think of it...a very cool trick I learned from Franz
some time back is to carry a couple of lengths of each size of treble
wire (13 - 16.5).  He carried these in plastic baggies labeled per
size.  It's quite nifty to have a replacement right there when you
don't have time to run back out to the car/truck/sidecar.

Hope there is something useful for you here.

Best.

Horace