[CAUT] Gram Tension Guages

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu May 18 20:51:24 MDT 2006

David  writes:

<< Baldassin says grams matter most because of the touchweighting issues
involved and he feels it produces a more consistant feel in the action.
Teel says it's a functional process and if it doesn't swing consistently
it won't feel consistant.<<

   Greetings,
      I use the swings. Tapering their number through the scale, as well as
compensating for humidity, is very straightforward.  It is also easier to
determine, in the field, if a flange is out of line, or not.  For normal
regulations, it is simple to swing the whole stack and repin the loosest 30% and the
tightest 30%, and get a hammer line that is consistant enough for any and all
practical purposes.  The pinning doesn't stay exactly where we leave it, anyway.
     My logic for counting swings is because in actual use, the pin is
bearing quite hard against one side of the bushing cloth, distorting it. ( If you
want an idea of how much, just put a full length pin through the hammer shank
bushings, without the flange.  Then, place the shank so that the knuckle is on
the very edge of the table with the hammer suspended out in the air, and then
press down on the ends of the pin so that you lift the hammer.  You will notice
a lot of pressure on your fingertips! This is the same pressure that is
resting on the top of the hammer flange bushing when the knuckle is supported by
the jack/balancier.
    While the bushing is so distorted,   the friction is not being provided
evenly all the way around the circumference of the pin, but rather, by the
smaller arc that is under pressure. Keep in mind, this is a static test, and the
pressure is much greater on that small arc when the key is given a hard blow.
I know, friction is a function of velocity, but it is hard to tell if the
small arc, under the heavy pressure of a fast blow, creates as much friction as
the full circumference does when slowly moved.
    While swinging doesn't compress the felt nearly so much as a note played,
it is closer to real life application than the slow measurement of a gram
gauge.  I  do know that swinging the parts is much faster when pinning, and when
the swings are consistant, the overall action consistancy is more affected by
other variables, such as hammer mass, leverage, friction at the key and
balancier,etc.
 Regards,

Ed Foote RPT