[CAUT] undercovers

John Minor jminor at uiuc.edu
Fri May 19 12:15:40 MDT 2006

Fred,

Are you happy with the results of the undercovers helping
maintain stability? Do you use the damp chaser undercover
material?

John Minor
University of Illinois

Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 07:30:02 -0600
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] rehearsal room climate swings
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

	BTW, I have been installing undercovers now with hooks and
grommets.
Small brass grommets (I think 1/8" for the hole), installed with
pliers type tool. These are available (grommets and tool) at
fabric
and hobby stores. It's quick and neat. First drill pilot holes
and
install hooks on the inside of the rim, about 18" centers,
closer
where curves require. Fold a "hem" in the fabric, starting at
the
bass corner of the piano, punch a hole with leather pliers-style
punch, insert grommet, squeeze with grommet tool, put on hook.
Move
to the next hook. The benefit, in addition to ease of
installation,
is ease of removal for service. (Some day I'll get a camera to
take
along with me and do pix).
Regards,
Fred Sturm