[CAUT] Student Membership Proposal

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Sat May 20 20:01:40 MDT 2006

Friend Paul,
 As you posted this on the CAUT list, I would at least like to hear some small airing of this important issue.
 So my feeling is that this is upside down and backwards. Think professional organization and forget the rest. This comes under the category of "trying to be all things to all people," not "bread on the water." If this organization gets any more spread out there will be no value left for the people who need it the most, the professional piano technicians. I believe we should let the schools, manufacturers, apprentice employment opportunities,  and  correspondence courses handle the education business. They are professionals after all. In my over thirty years in this "Guild," and I use the term loosely, I have seen countless classes given in what you should or could learn but very few actual skill improving learning opportunities. Most of that is manufacture originated, and they go on anyway, and in most cases you have to already be a professional to get what they are giving. So what extra value can these students hope to gain? You say they will stay in the organization and be able to go pass the test right after they graduate, well they can join and do that anyway or before graduation now. If they don't plan on passing the test and becoming a fully enabled member will they pay more to get little as Associates? I don't think so. They will probably quit. At this point being a PTG member or a RPT means almost nothing to the piano playing/owning public so again, where is the value in membership?
 These are broader issues than your propsal, but certainly related. In the end it is all about MARKETING, but we have not clarified what (the RPT brand) we are marketing so we are not even to the point of developing a realistic (BIG)  budget to implement anything. It is difficult  to consider any of this without asking over and over what is the value in being an RPT member of the PTG?
 I think there should be one membership dues, at least double what they are now, so that we can develop some value for membership for "Certified Piano Technicians." If anyone else wants to be a member they can be an Allied Tradesman and pay the same or more, and an Apprentice category could cover anyone who really wants to be a CPT and pass the test but hasn't arrived at that skill level. Just because someone is enrolled in a full time 2 year program seems very narrow for a membership category. How many people would this actually apply to? very few I think. Won't there be a ruckess from those not enrolled but who consider themselves serious students? There may be better ways  to reach out to these people, such as offering scholarships or discounting conventions (some things we already do at MARC) or something yet to be proposed that can give these admitedly serious students a helping hand, although I should point out, there are many of these folks who enter this organization and pass the RPT minimum standard test and do just fine under the present system. How many actual numbers does that leave that will improve things through this proposal? Less than my doubted very few mentioned earlier. The hobbyists, all includers, and education organization people, and I'm not saying you are one of these, are diluting what could be a great Guild that sets standards and maintains them for the greater good of the musical world. Too many missions leads to no value or mission dilution. This kind of thing is ruining the Guild. Forget it. JMHO.
 BTW I have looked over my Council book and don't see such a proposal before Council. I do see Proposals 1, 2, 6 & 8 as positive steps to improving member value and I hope they will all pass.
Chris Solliday