[CAUT] re-core Steinway action rail?

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu May 25 22:13:21 MDT 2006

David,
         The new rails are NOT predrilled. At
least they weren't the last time I ordered one.
Still, it's not real tough to line up the old one
against the new one and drill new holes in the
same locations. As to the angles and such, it's
not too hard to make a template to get the new
rail into the right location or angle. You could
fashion a small block of wood that would fit
against the appropriate parts matching the
existing angles (assuming what exists is
correct), and lay that block against the new rail
making it's new location exactly the same as the
old. Templates are great when all you want is
duplication. There's not really much room for it
to move around when soldering a new one in
anyway. That said you CAN screw it up but, if
your careful, I think you certainly have enough intelligence to handle it.

best,
Greg

At 11:33 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
>Well, for one thing, the geometry, the rail has
>to be slightly tilted, I believe,  are the new
>rails pre-drilled...is that really easier than a
>new core?   I've never done it, so I'm speculating here...
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, California

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté