[CAUT] technique for getting pianos on the colson dolly

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri May 26 13:19:36 MDT 2006

I do it myself.
Me, three concrete blocks, 6 4x4 scraps, and 3 2-ton hydraulic
jacks.  Cost -- about $30, depending on where you get the hydraulic
jacks and what you have to pay for them.

Place the concrete blocks - or something similarly strong of similar
size - on the three corners of the piano. (I use a blanket sometimes
under the blocks)  I put one 4x4 on top of a block, a jack on top of
that, and another 4x4 between the jack and the piano.  Jack it up
slowly and evenly so that the piano doesn't tip.  Remove the casters
-- you may have to remove and replace the legs.  Place the truck
under the piano and adjust it to fit the legs.  Slowly lower the
piano until it barely hovers above the truck --- low enough the truck
can't roll around, but bears no weight.  Tighten all bolts and screws
and let the piano down.  I've installed 3 spider trucks this way and
it beats the heck out of getting a crew of 10 guys to lift the piano
while you crawl around under it.

my perspective.
Jeff