[CAUT] (NOT SO) DANGEROUS technique....

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon May 29 13:31:47 MDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Mike Kurta wrote:

>    Jeff, I beg to differ.  The car jack is very controllable in
> 1/2" increments going up AND coming down.  The problem is finding
> them.
>    Mike Kurta

I can control the hydraulic jack in 1/16" increments or less, which
you may need when it comes time to tighten the truck bolts.  That lip
on the leg plate is less than 1/4" deep and the piano needs to float
in a position that will keep the truck from rolling out from under
it.  I have seen a ratchet style car jack get out of control on the
way down and you can get hurt.  Scissor jacks, like John spoke of,
are probably the best if space isn't a problem.  I've used them too.

I've not had any trouble controlling the hydraulic jacks on the way
down.  If you don't tighten the valve too tight, after it starts
down, you can let it move as slowly or quickly as you want in very
very small increments.  If it starts off too fast and goes too far,
just jack it back up again.  The hydraulic jacks, to me, are the most
convenient and being not much difference in size from a small coffee
can, take up the least amount of storage space.  That's why I like them.

Point is, maybe I just like working by myself, but I think it is
easier for one person to install a piano truck on a piano than a
crew, and it CAN be done, and safely. for a one time purchase of
about $30.  Each person will have his or her own preference for tools
or support blocks, and you don't have to buy $300 or $1000 worth of
tools to do it.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina