[CAUT] DANGEROUS technique for getting pianos on the colson dolly

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon May 29 13:35:49 MDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 2:07 PM, John Ross wrote:

> One further thing, scissor jacks, when in the closed position, with
> no blocks attached, the height is 3 7/8".
> I used one to change a set of casters, on a truck with a S&S D on it.
> John M. Ross

I've done that too.  (Had to take the back seat apart to find the
dang thing -- man I'd hate to get a flat tire with all my piano stuff
in the back)  Scissor jack does offer the most control.  Most
recently, I put on a set of caster brakes with a piece of 4x4 scrap
and used myself for the jack easily as pie.  Got underneath and did
the "push up" type lift and supported the piano with one arm and slid
the 4x4 under the end of the truck with the other.  Don't know if I
could do it with a heavy piano.  This was only a Yamaha G2.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina