[CAUT] Erard piano

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon May 29 15:09:12 MDT 2006

Hi Wim and Ed,

At 2:20 PM -0400 29/5/06, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>     You can find the proper keydip by understanding that the sharps must not
>go farther than approx. 1 mm above the tops of the naturals when depressed,
>and they cannot be above 13 mm above the naturals when at rest. This is your
>range of keydip.  The hammers must not lie on the rest rail, nor be
>more than 5
>mm above it.  This is your hammer range.  Let-off can be set at 1 mm
>throughout
>the scale for a beginning specification.  You should then be able to find a
>comfortable set of specs that are tailored to the performers sense of touch by
>varying the amount of aftertouch. ie.  if you want to reduce the aftertouch to
>a minumum, (which will be the fastest action), lower your hammers or raise
>your keydip, or a little of both.  You may then want to set your
>let-off to just
>below the lower excursion limit of the string when the string has been struck
>as firmly as the performer is likely to play it.  The drop should leave the
>hammer at exactly the same height as let-off. Springs should be as strong as
>possible without being felt in the key upon hammer release.
>The knuckle should be in contact with the top of the jack, but no more than
>that.  The distal edge of the jack should be even with the distal edge of the
>knuckle core.
>      The dampers should begin to lift when the hammer is halfway to the
>string.

Excellent summary post Ed. The pianist should take Ed's post and
present it to each prospective technician in turn until he finds
someone who understands it. Then he'll probably have found someone
who is capable of setting the piano up to perform as it should. Ed's
list is more useful than a factory regulation spec list.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers