[CAUT] Erard piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue May 30 12:29:48 MDT 2006

At 12:39 PM 5/30/2006 -0400, you wrote:

><< Wilbur Rhubottom, former instructor at Western Iowa Tech, had a philosophy
> > >towards regulation which covers this situation.
> >  >"Make It Work." >>
>
>Greetings,
>          If I might be permitted a polite "Duh".......  What does "work"
>mean??
>         "Making it work"  might only mean making sure a note sounds when a
>key is pressed.  I thought what was being requested was info that would allow
>the action to be regulated to optimum condition.  Rarely will one set of
>specs.
>optimize all pianos of a given brand, so there is a requirement for
>finesse to
>get the most out of these actions.  This is qualitatively different from
>simply making an action "work".
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

Yup, it all depends on what you mean by "work".  I can imagine that it was
originally said by Ruby to students there at WITCC when, for the umpteenth
time, someone asked what the regulation specs were for a large, 1890s piano
shaped object and it wasn't listed in the action specs handbook.

"Play with one note until it functions. Duplicate findings on all other
notes" - Git-R-Done.

Today, I've just finished repinning hammerflanges on piano professor
studio's B.  I could have just repinned and slapped the thing back together
after making sure they all moved.

That would NOT have "worked".  Not for him: not for me.  I have to keep
this one pretty close to concert regulation and voicing. Close enough to be
a "workable" primo _or_ secondo to the D next to it.

By the time it "works" for me, I know I have already or will be doing
hammer filing, spacing, checking, traveling, mating to strings and probably
leveling some of them, regulation and, finally, tuning and voicing. ...and
I'm sure I've forgotten something right off hand.

"Making it work" for most pianos is, for me, putting them in the best
possible condition under whatever conditions they may be found. (My time
and customer funding thereof are always a consideration, natch.)

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.