[CAUT] Portable work station completed

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Tue Oct 31 10:59:57 MST 2006

Quoting David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>:

> Wim...where is that cart?
>  I've looked through Grainger and can't find anything similar to
> Rob's....you're not talking about the Rubbermaid cart are you?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

DAvid

No, this is not the rubbermaid cart I use. The cart I am referring to
is number 4YW72, on page 2349 of the Grainer catologue. (This
catologue is about 3 or 4 years old). I think I got this cart just
before coming to Alabama, but for me, it was too big. That's when I
got the smaller Rubbermaid cart.

Wim

> [...]
> molding
> >> around the parameter adding protection to the edges as well as
> >> providing a more professional appearance.  An area below has been
> >> designated for a permanent shop vac.  There is a custom designed
> rack
> >> on one end for storing the vacuum hose.  An extension cord is
> >> connected to the opposite end of the cart with an integrated cleat
> >> coil it when not in use.  A multi-purpose power strip is
> permanently
> >> secured for general use.
> >>
> >> A square sleeve is built into the under side of the bench.  A
> mating
> >> square tube inserts into the sleeve for a removable work light.
> The
> >> work light was custom designed and build specifically for this
> bench.
> >>  Custom made brackets were cut and welded to secure a re-enforced
> >> florescent fixture.  This is connected to an adjustable arm,
> (made
> >> from a modified commercial grade paint roller extension handle),
> and
> >> can be extended nearly 30" above the work surface.  When not in
> use
> >> the light is inserted backwards into the sleeve and neatly folds
> up
> >> below the bench.  The sleeve extends to the opposite side of the
> >> bench to except other future planed accessories such as a
> removable
> >> vice.  There is plenty of space below for a large drawer-type
> tool
> >> chest with room to spare for other supplies or perhaps a
> compressor.
> >> The bench rolls on 6" commercial grade castors, two fixed and two
> >> swivel.  There are two pedestal brake stands which extend or
> retract
> >> by stepping on a lever.  When set in the brake position the
> entire
> >> cart is as stationary and stable as any well built work table.  I
> was
> >> very impressed how well these things work.
> >>
> >> I'm pretty proud of this one, it turned out far better than
> >> originally planned.  It rolls very smoothly and is built tough.
> It
> >> should withstand heavy use for decades.  It will make servicing
> the
> >> university's +/- 60 pianos far easier.
> >>
> >> Attached are a few pictures as promised.
> >>
> >> Painting the completed steel frame
> >>

> >> Power strip and extension cord on cleat.  Accessory end of sleeve
> >> visible.
> >>

> >> Shop vac installed below.  Rack for winding 14' hose.  A bungee
> >> secures it.
> >>

> >> Custom work light inserted into sleeve.  It can extend to about
> 30",
> >> angle also adjustable.
> >>

> >> Pedestal brake behind swivel wheel.  Remarkably stable and
> >> effective.
> >>

> >> "Joplin Rags" demonstrates.  (Note his foot prints in the

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama