[CAUT] Touch and Tone

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Sat Sep 2 09:03:51 MDT 2006

I have been reading the comments about touch and tone on the list.  Here's
my take on it.

Years ago, I noticed that people would sometimes tell me that the piano
played so much better after I tuned it.  I expected comments like this if I
had done some regulation.  Accomplished pianists would always notice the
difference.  But others, not quite so accomplished, would sometimes tell me
the piano played better after I tuned it, even though I did no regulation
at all.  In those cases, I concluded that it was purely psychological.

Jim Ellis