[CAUT] Touch and Tone

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 2 15:48:48 MDT 2006

Hi Jim

I'm not so sure I agree... at  least not entirely. Ok one does
absolutely nothing to change the mechanical features of the action
perse.  But the pianists perception of touch is kind of this big ol bowl
of  <<my fingers do this and the piano does that (sound)>>  One thing I
often hear from pianists is that the sense of eveneness improves after a
tuning. From an overall response perspective this seems reasonable to
me.  Differing degrees of out of tuness can easily be experienced in
terms of different output response for input. Tuning addresses this
rather directly. Whether or not one can use the term psychological or
not in this respect may perhaps be an excursion into semantics...  but
something real and tangeble is changed that alters the pianist
experience as much as their perception...  at least thats my take on it.

Cheers
RicB

Years ago, I noticed that people would sometimes tell me that the piano
played so much better after I tuned it.  I expected comments like this if I
had done some regulation.  Accomplished pianists would always notice the
difference.  But others, not quite so accomplished, would sometimes tell me
the piano played better after I tuned it, even though I did no regulation
at all.  In those cases, I concluded that it was purely psychological.

Jim Ellis