[CAUT] swadging hammer leads

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 12:08:46 MDT 2006

Hey there Jim,

That works just great if you need that much lead in a hole.  You only
need to lightly tap one side. With the other size on an anvil or
something like that.

I have this little flattish cast iron table vice.  I put a 3mm steel
dowel in the vice so it sticks up about 1 (+) mm or so.  When I need
less lead I insert the lead, lay the hammer on its side so the hole fits
in my steel dowle and barely tap.  Flip it quickly over and tap the
other way to get the lead centered.  It takes like soooo little to get
the lead tight enough to sit solidly.  Took a while for me to get
that...but a couple split hammers is a lot of motivation to figure
things out  :)

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

I've found that if you simply lay the (drilled) hammer on its side,
insert the lead wire then cut it 1/8 inch too long, then one tap of the
hammer and you're done. It's solid. More than 1/8 and the hammer may
split. Less and it may come loose. Is that about what you've found?

Jim Busby