[CAUT] stack fit to keyframe

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 00:00:24 MDT 2006

At 8:09 am -0500 11/9/06, Bob Hohf wrote:

>I'm afraid I can't describe briefly an idea that took a 4-article series to
>develop.  I would at least have to reread the articles to see what I said
>then ...

That is quite understandable, and to respond to all the points you
raise in your message would produce too long a reply, so I'll limit
myself to the question of the hammer and the question of the model.

>...I mention having the centerline of the hammer perpendicular to
>the string when striking.  This is debatable, and in reality is
>almost never the case.

The only debatable point for me in practice is how much to allow for
settling-in.  I aim to have every hammer strike the string at a right
angle once all toning and facing is completed and the piano has been
well played in, though in practice this adjustment is very slight and
particularly slight in the extreme treble, where the angle is most
critical.  I have never yet come across a piano that has a constant
string height at the strike point, and this is the first variable I
take into account when calculating how to bore the hammers. All else
being equal, this almost always means that a longer bore-length would
be required at note 30 than at note 88.  But all else is not equal,
since the angle of the strings to the horizontal is generally
negligeable at note 30 and very considerable at note 88.  It is by
taking into account both these variables that the hammers are bored
with the aim a) to respect a straight strike-line b) to have the
angle (at strike, not necessarily 180 deg.) of the shank to the
key-bottom the same throughout the scale and c) to have each hammer
strike the string at a right angle.

>Using an action model modified to make the wippen and hammershank centers
>adjustable, I varied them, graphed it out and determined that optimizing
>this set of parameters specifies a single optimum string height. I suppose
>choosing different parameters might indicate a different height.  I have
>never explored this idea and am unlikely to unless someone wants to finance
>the research.

In the past few weeks I have been working on a script that creates
drawings from which a QuickTime movie is produced automatically
showing the full action cycle very precisely and realistically.  As
it develops I am able to adjust any of the key data and observe the
results.  As much technical information (arcs, angles, dimensions
etc.) as is required can be printed to the movie.  As it is at the
moment it is very impressive, but in fact there remains a lot of work
to do since I have in places substituted plausible fudges for strict
trigonometry.  The next main task is to discipline my brain to get
the angles precise, and after that to introduce a variety of
different lever designs as options.  At the moment I am using a
Herrburger lever of about 1898, which I consider to be the best
development of the Erard-Herz principle ever put into production, but
I intend soon to add the more common 1850s style lever as perpetuated
by Steinway and other fossilised companies.

When the script is further advanced I hope to make the movie(s)
available and eventually perhaps to allow users to send data to a
server and have a movie produced according to their own
specifications.  At any rate I shall be producing a form for data
entry from which the script will be able to create customised
drawings and movies based on the required measurements.

JD