[CAUT] Hurdy Gurdy

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 12 08:14:22 MDT 2006

Hi Jeff,
	I have a similar "hurdy gurdy" in my "client base" (referral from a
close friend), though mine is made in Barcelona (name escapes me),
has the crank on the side, and has six settings: each cylinder has
six songs on it, and it has two cylinders. Fascinating little device.
Hammers made of that elbow plastic (though none breaking yet) with a
slip of wood in a slot at the tip which actually hits the strings.
The hammers are close to the strings, and are mounted much like
upright damper levers that don't quite touch the strings, with
similar springs. The nubs on the cylinder act on the bottom of the
lever to move the hammer away from the string, then suddenly release,
and the flex in the system allows the hammer to hit the string and
rebound. Troublesome to tune, as the pins are much smaller than 1/0
but larger than zither (my smallest piano tip just barely doesn't
strip), and the space available to pluck the strings is minute. A bit
of music wire is the best plucker I've found.
	Nice aspect of tuning it: the client brings it to me.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu